As it turned out recently, 70% of the clients we come across want Digital Marketing, but have absolutely no idea what it is. Let’s briefly explain the basics and differences.
Why did we bring this up?
Digital Marketing: All of a sudden and by accident, it was discovered that many do not know the definition of this concept. A very funny situation happened: a client came to us with the words:
“We need complex digital marketing, send a commercial proposal (commercial proposal), descriptions, presentations … after we will approve the estimate”
To which there was a simple answer from our side:
“OK. Do you just have a complex-complex or do you still have a pool of wishes? “
“Well, digital, you understand, so do it”
Of course, the dialogue continued for some time, and in the end we received a frank admission that the person did not know at all what this word meant. We, of course, explained and discussed everything, but it is precisely because of this situation that I want to devote a separate article to this definition.
So, first of all, let’s formulate a common understanding. Translated from English, digital means “digital”. Digital marketing is the use of the entire complex of digital channels through which a brand / company / product is promoted or attracted to the attention of an audience.
Digital marketing (or digital marketing) has recently begun to be mastered by domestic marketers, although it has existed for a long time. It is also called digital marketing. This is the marketing of goods and services, focused on the use of digital technologies in order to attract and retain customers (consumers).
The term digital marketing began to be widely used in the 1990s. At the same time, digital marketing techniques were used in practice in the 1980s, but this term was not used. For example, ChannelNet (at that time it was called SoftAd Group) developed and implemented an advertising campaign for car manufacturers: inserts were placed in magazines, which readers had to cut out and send to manufacturers by mail. In return, they received a free test drive and a floppy disk with advertisements for different car brands. In fact, it was already digital marketing, because digital media was used.
Most often, the concept of digital marketing is confused with internet marketing. Not surprisingly, digital marketing is closely intertwined with internet marketing. This misunderstanding is even logical, since digital includes all the tools of conventional Internet marketing. But the important difference is that digital goes beyond just online advertising and uses digital channels that are not always related to the Internet, it’s trite:
- – TV ads (digital channels only)
- – Applications
- – SMS mailing
- – “Second screen”
After this paragraph, you might think that digital is just “all marketing”, however, it is not. In this case, we do not use traditional marketing channels. We only use digital channels. What is the fundamental difference, you ask? It is not always on the surface.
Well, for example, what is the difference between TV ads and digital TV ads? “Why are you selling me some game here?” – may be quite a logical question from the reader of this article. Digital channels differ from traditional ones in that we can collect clear, objective and relevant data. And in modern realities, the ability to “give the client understandable and clear numbers” is vital for companies that provide services.
What does digital include?
1. The Internet and devices that provide access to it (computers, tablets, smartphones, etc.).
2. Local networks. Internal networks of companies – extranet.
3. Mobile devices. We are talking about installing branded applications or organizing WOW phone calls.
4. Digital television. The main point is integration with applications on the phone, second screen or second screen technologies, synchronization with Internet advertising.
5. Interactive screens, POS terminals This is a type of digital media that is gradually replacing standard outdoor advertising.
6. Digital gadgets – devices that can collect information and transfer it to other media. For example, smart watches, fitness bracelets and others.
In some books, the most important digital marketing activities today include:
- search engine optimization;
- search marketing;
- content marketing;
- influencer marketing (influencer);
- SMM marketing (on social media);
- email marketing (direct mailing);
- contextual advertising;
- advertising in electronic publications.
Let’s do it again, thesis.
- Digital marketing is not the same as internet marketing.
- The main difference from any other type of marketing is the use of ALL digital channels of interaction with the audience.
- The main difference between digital channels and any others is the ability to collect clear and objective data.
Digital agency tools
Digital agencies are involved in promoting brands in the digital environment.
These companies usually have marketers, SEO specialists, analysts, project managers, designers, layout designers, programmers, content managers and copywriters. Videographers or photographers are also sometimes hired.
The main tools of digital agencies include social networks, contextual and display advertising, website promotion, advertising in mobile applications, and reputation management. One of the most important agency tools is SEO, that is, site optimization for search engines. Digital marketing agencies create local networks and distribute information through them. There are multiple devices on the network, and users can get useful information by exchanging files and messages. Also, work is underway to promote it through digital television channels. For owners of Internet resources, they organize participation in seminars, forums and other professional events.
The whole set of tools can be divided into three groups:
- own resources (sites, pages in social networks that the business owns and can dispose of)
- paid resources (everything a company needs to pay for)
- earned resources (word of mouth or earned media – free or purchased communication channels)
main methods of digital promotion
- SEO – website optimization to improve its position in search engines. It begins to act in a few months, but the effect is then stable.
- SMM – working with groups in social networks, including creating and posting content, organizing contests and other forms of interaction with the audience.
- SERM – managing a company’s reputation by creating a positive image on sites with reviews.
Why digital marketing for your business
This type of marketing reaches out not only to online users, but also to people using tablets and mobile phones, downloading applications. This expands the audience. This approach allows you to attract an offline audience to the online marketplace, and vice versa. For example, when you are inviting a user to an offline event, such as a business breakfast, using an email campaign.
Digital marketing allows you to collect clear statistical data about users, since almost all online actions are taken into account by special services. As a result, conclusions about the effectiveness of individual channels and the portrait of the consumer are more accurate.